In this article we are talking about “What is DEXA Test ?“and what are the reason of inclusion in BCCI’s newly selection procedure.
What is DEXA Test and why it is the part of team’s selection criteria ?
BCCI has taken an important decision in the review meeting. According to this decision, Yo-Yo test as well as Dexa test has been made mandatory before any team selection.
The Indian cricket team is constantly battling with the injuries of the players. In 2022, India’s mainstays Ravindra Jadeja and Jasprit Bumrah have been hit hard by injuries and their absence from several crucial matches.
Therefore, in the review meeting held in Mumbai on January 1, 2023. The BCCI took an important decision and said that before team selection for any cricket event, Yo Yo test as well as Dexa test will be mandatory and the player will be selected after passing the DEXA test.
BCCI has included DEXA test as a passing parameter in the selection procedure and it will be mandatory to conduct both these tests before any player gets a contract.
Earlier selection was done only on the basis of Yo-Yo test.
Important decisions of Mumbai review meeting
- All the emerging players will have to play domestic cricket continuously so that when the selection of the national team is done, before and before it is fully prepared.
- DEXA Test along with Yo Yo Test will be an essential parameter of the selection procedure.
- Given the busy schedule of Indian cricket in 2023, the MCA will hold talks with the IPL franchises and discuss the workload management of their players.
What is DEXA test ? – What are the benefits of DEXA test?
DEXA Test is a type of bone density test. It’s full name is Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry Test.
It is an imaging test which is done by X-rays hence it is also called Dexa scan and DXA test.
Benefits of DEXA Test
This is a bone density test in which the density of bones. This test is a very safe, painless and very fast test.
Some key benefits are here:
- It measures the thickness and strength of the bones. And also measures the amount of fat in the body.
- It also gives information about weight and tissue.
- It gives complete information about the fitness of the bones of the body within just 10 minutes.
- And also, by giving information about any weak bone inside the body.
- This test also gives information about future fractures in advance.
Why BCCI includes Dexa Test in selection
BCCI did not want that their big/experienced players got injury before main events. Indian team players had to face a lot of injuries in 2022. Big players like Ravindra Jadeja, Jaspreet Bumrah and Rohit Sharma had to sit out of the team in the middle of the tournament due to injury and due to this the Indian cricket team had to suffer a lot.
In the T20 World Cup in 2022, Ravindra Jadeja and Jasprit Bumrah could not play due to injury and India got the result of losing the semi-finals.
These are some of the advantages that BCCI can take on the basis of DEXA test report:-
- Dexa test case will tell in advance about diseases and weaknesses related to bones inside players, due to which only physically fit players will be selected and chances of injury will be reduced.
- Unfit players will be able to work on their weaknesses and ailments and become fully fit before being selected in the team.
Key players will be saved from getting injured before the big event so that they can be fully fit before the big match.
Impact of Dexa Test on players
- With the implementation of the test, the Yo-Yo test can be done again for all the players, which is a very difficult process for senior players.
(Disclaimer- This site content is for informational purposes only, and does not provide professional medical advice.)
Indian team players had to face a lot of injuries in 2022. Big players like Ravindra Jadeja, Jaspreet Bumrah and Rohit Sharma had to sit out of the team in the middle of the tournament due to injury and due to this the indian cricket team had to suffer a lot.
In the T20 World Cup in 2022, Ravindra Jadeja and Jasprit Bumrah could not play due to injury and India got the result of losing the semi-finals
Things to Know About the Yo-Yo Test
- It is a process of 23 levels, in which the player after passing each level reaches the next level.
- Each level is called a complete shuttle and after each complete settle the player’s fitness is determined.
- The criteria for the yo yo test differ from country to country.
- And so far no player from any country has been able to complete all the levels of the Yo-Yo test.
Recently, Rishabh Pant, one of the key player of the Indian team, had a major car accident and many senior players are struggling with injury. After which the BCCI is worried about the injury of its key players.
The ODI World Cup is coming up in 2023 and the BCCI does not want any of India’s top players to be out of the team due to injury before the World Cup.
This time the 2023 World Cup is going to be held in India and the BCCI does not want such a golden opportunity to win the World Cup to go out of hand due to the injury of the players.